Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? Surviving the Norwegian Apocalypse -- "Cadaver (Kadaver)"
- Netflixable? Is anybody home at "House of the Witch?"
- Movie Review: A grieving obsessive-compulsive falls under an Icelandic "Spell"
- Movie Review: A Philippines serial killer hides in "Smaller and Smaller Circles" as priests close in
- Netflixable? Filipino teen parents are "Ordinary People (Pamilya Ordinaryo)" on the streets of Manila
- Documentary Review: "The Phenomenon" revisits UFOdom's Greatest Hits
- Netflixable? "American Pie Presents: 'Girls' Rules"
- Movie Review: Does Stephen King's lawyer know about "The Luring?"
- Series Preview: Chess, madness and sex appeal -- "The Queen’s Gambit"
- Movie Review: Kathie Lee and Craig, together again, "Then Came You"
Find a Movie Review
Monthly Archives: August 2015
Dear Zac Efron; We are your fans. Maybe even your friends. But we won’t be either for much longer, if you can’t escape drivel like “We Are Your Friends.” It’s got music, so we can totally see why you’d be … Continue reading
James Ransome played the unnamed deputy who survived the mayhem of “Sinister,” but lost his job over trying to save the family headed by a writer who has stumbled into a cache of supernaturally murderous home movies. So he’s the … Continue reading
A dog dumped into the dog (movie) days of August, “Hitman: Agent 47,” arrives as the “worst reviewed movie of the summer.” But is it the worst of the worst? Not if you’ve seen “The Curse of Downer’s Grove,” or … Continue reading
There’s always been an edge to Jason Bateman that showed us a nasty piece of work waiting to get out. That’s nicely exploited in Joel Edgerton’s “The Gift,” a psychological thriller about a husband and wife inconvenienced, then harassed by … Continue reading
The difference between an “authorized” biography and one that isn’t sanctioned by the subject and his or her family/company is laid bare in “Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine.” “Official” biographer Walter Isaacson, whose all-access, occasionally unflattering biography is … Continue reading
Forbes has done its annual numbers crunching and compiled/concocted its “Best Paid Actrresses” list, and Jennifer “Katniss” Lawrence tops it, earning over $52 million over the past year. Scarlett Johannson had a VERY good year to come in second. Lots … Continue reading
“Straight Outta Compton” had a week of blowback — women coming forward to complain about the misogyny and beatings they endured from Dr. Dre and other members of NWA, bad “messages” within the film’s cheesy underclad groupie scenes. And it … Continue reading
Bret “Less Than Zero/American Psycho” Easton Ellis never quite got over the ’80s. You can see it in every movie he has a hand in, since that’s where the novelist seems to make his rent money these days. He’s not … Continue reading
Someday, there’ll be an opera about Evel Knievel. And Johnny Knoxville, his biggest fan, will probably compose it. But for now there’s the Knoxville-produced “Being Evel,” a warts-and-all documentary about the daredevil-hustler, that for all its inherent evil — and … Continue reading
Kristen Stewart and Jesse Eisenberg dress down and cover themselves with bruises, fake-cuts and gore for the ultra violent “American Ultra.” And if they don’t cover themselves in glory, at least these reunited “Adventureland” co-stars do justice to this testicles-on-the-tarmac … Continue reading