Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? Another chess match to save the world, "The Coldest Game"
- The song Jim Carrey does a wicked dance to in "Sonic the Hedgehog"
- Netflixable? Germans "Isi & Ossi" hunt for laughs on the way to romance
- Movie Review: "Sonic the Hedgehog," how bad can it be?
- Movie Review: So who's the "Parasite" here?
- Movie Review: The answers to a murder mystery lie "Beneath the Leaves"
- Movie Review: "Antrum: The Deadliest Film Ever Made"
- Netflixable? Sniper comes home to MMA challenges, "Blackbear"
- Movie Review: A garbage man "on the spectrum" goes to "A Dark Place" hunting a murderer
- Movie Review: A CGI dog hears "The Call of the Wild"
Find a Movie Review
Monthly Archives: June 2015
You’ve got to appreciate good trash talk to get into “Balls Out,” a college intramural sports comedy that was never going to amount to much. “I’m gonna rip out your colon and use it as a spooky eye-patch!” The classmate-coach’s … Continue reading
It’s not the laughs that tell us Pixar has returned to form with its latest offering, “Inside Out.” It’s the heart. Here’s a children’s cartoon that deals with emotions, from temper tantrums to sadness spirals. It teaches kids, with animation … Continue reading
“Dope” is the most daring comedy of the summer, a funny film that hunts for laughs in the everyday menaces that face black teens growing up in the corner of Los Angeles named Inglewood, in the neighborhood its residents call … Continue reading
“Gabriel” is a moody, intimate character study filmed and performed in shades of grey. It’s about a mentally ill young man desperate to use his first hours after getting out of an institution to make his life right. Not that … Continue reading
The teen hides comic books inside a book of Shakespeare’s plays. His favorite stories concern a superhero, The Phantom Halo. But Dad doesn’t approve. When he’s sober, he quotes Shakespeare. He does that when he’s drunk, too. So Sam, played … Continue reading
The Savage Nomads, Black Spades, Harlem Turks, Screaming Phantoms, Golden Guineas — these were “the armies of the night,” as an iconic 1970s film described them. Block by block, they controlled much of New York, especially the South Bronx, nicknamed … Continue reading
He’s not working as much as he did during his Go-To Villain days. I blame Harry Potter for that. Surely Alan Rickman got rich off that franchise and could pick and choose the parts to turn his plummy voice loose … Continue reading
The hook for Luke Korem’s engaging documentary, “Lord Montagu,” is scandal and sex. But that becomes just a prologue, abandoned early on in this story of a bisexual British lord who survived imprisonment for his sexual orientation and went on … Continue reading
An $82 million Friday suggests that millions of Americans forgot the plot of 1992’s “Jurassic Park.” Or ignored scads and scads of warnings that “Jurassic World” is exactly the same movie. Well, anything to sell the popcorn. It is a … Continue reading
Jason Bateman and Ginnifer Goodwin provide the voices, Disney has set this one for release in March of 2016.