Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: A horrific survey of obscure "Phobias"
- Movie Review: Lovely-to-look-at-"Luca" is for tiny bambinos
- Movie Review: Hell's in Kentucky thanks to "The Devil Below"
- Classic Film Review: Young Frankenheimer's "The Young Savages" (1961)
- Movie Review: "Dutch" is a gangland saga that's no treat
- Movie Review: Lovecraft's "The Deep Ones" done on the cheap
- Preview, Burglar interrupts suicide, "romance" ensues in "Breaking & Exiting"
- Netflixable: If you cross Max, payback can be "Xtreme (Extremo)"
- Documentary Review: An "Unsolved Mystery" solved? "An Unknown Compelling Force" looks at the Dyatlov Pass Incident
- Netflixable? "Dancing Queens" is a Swedish drag
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: January 17, 2013
It’s movie Thursday on the Open Mike radio show, so I’ll be talking Oscars and Arnold, Marky Mark and Mama with Mike Bianchi and Brian Fritz at about 745. You can listen online, or tune to 740 The Game on … Continue reading
Weekend Movies — over-enthusiastic reviews for Schwarzenegger, middling for “Mama,” busted for “Broken City”
Director worship is very much in evidence with reviews of this weekend’s movie releases. Critics don’t care for the Hughes brothers — Allen “Book of Eli” Hughes in particular. So “Broken City” is cut no slack. They love South Korean … Continue reading
t’s coming back, going into a lot more theaters. And that means a lot of confused filmgoers, or a lot more than there were when “Beasts of the Southern Wild” was a limited release/film festival sort of movie, sought out … Continue reading
“Mama” breaks a lot of horror movie rules, right off the proverbial bat. It gives us a long back-story opening, and brings up much more back story as the tale progresses. It over-explains. It reveals its supernatural menace, not just … Continue reading