Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? Surviving the Norwegian Apocalypse -- "Cadaver (Kadaver)"
- Netflixable? Is anybody home at "House of the Witch?"
- Movie Review: A grieving obsessive-compulsive falls under an Icelandic "Spell"
- Netflixable? Emma Roberts and Luke Bracey brace for a "Holidate"
- Movie Review: A streetball legend, "Blackjack: The Jackie Ryan Story"
- Movie Review: A Philippines serial killer hides in "Smaller and Smaller Circles" as priests close in
- Documentary Review: "The Phenomenon" revisits UFOdom's Greatest Hits
- Netflixable? "American Pie Presents: 'Girls' Rules"
- Movie Review: A fake priest, an Exorcism streaming show, a test from Satan -- "The Cleansing Hour"
- Netflixable? Filipino teen parents are "Ordinary People (Pamilya Ordinaryo)" on the streets of Manila
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: January 7, 2013
“Twilight” alumnus Taylor Lautner makes his debut as a leading man in an action film tailor-made — ahem — for him. “Abduction” puts Lautner in motion and never goes very far wrong as long as he remains in motion.
There’s a hint of incredulity to the rave reviews for the alcoholic love story “Smashed.” And since its director, James Ponsoldt, made a previous film about an alcoholic baseball umpire (“Off the Black”), that slack-jawed shock is aimed at … Continue reading
There’s always been something that screamed “CARTOON” about that potty-mouthed pixie, Sarah Silverman. Even at her most outrageous, the edgy comic’s disarming, Betty Boop by way of Betty Rubble voice intentionally softens that edge. Silverman’s demeanor and material, in which … Continue reading
Josh Brolin, Ryan Gosling, Anthony Mackie & Co. are out to deal with Mickey Cohen (Sean Penn) in late 1940s/early’50s LA in this old school gangland picture. “Gangster Squad” had Oscar buzz up until the day Warners moved it into … Continue reading
Two hardened criminals drop in to rob a store. They beat the daylights out of the proprietor, his wife. An employee cowers behind a counter, until he summons up his guts and hurls himself at the brutes. And as others … Continue reading
A couple of producers on board Gareth Edward’s “Godzilla” project with Warners have “departed.” But the film supposedly now has a pretty firm start date. Seriously? It occurred to me on first hearing about this that Warners announced it to … Continue reading