Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? Hippie teen has a Rio predicament in "Double Dad"
- Movie Review: Suffering from Amnesia, trying to rebuild the last "32 Weeks"
- Documentary Review: Meditating meetings with E.T. -- "Close Encounters of the Fifth Kind"
- Movie Review: Adventure vlogger finds there is "No Escape" from a Russian puzzle
- Netflixable? A Norwegian "car toon" -- "Asphalt Burning (Børning 3)"
- Movie Review: "Wonder Woman 1984 (WW84)"
- Netflixable? Filipino teen parents are "Ordinary People (Pamilya Ordinaryo)" on the streets of Manila
- Movie Review: Seeing the future, trying to change it of your own "Volition"
- Netflixable? "100% Halal," a soapy, almost edgy dramedy from Islamic Indonesia
- Netflixable? Coming of age and coming out in Taiwan -- "Your Name Engraved Herein"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: January 2, 2013
It was a simpler time, when Johnny Depp was new to Tiger Beat, when hair metal still ruled the airwaves and when Fox was an infant TV network with a bare handful of series — “The Simpsons,” “America’s Most Wanted” … Continue reading
Cast and crew err on the side of silly in “Journey 2: The Mysterious Island,” the amusingly childish sequel to that unlikely 2008 hit “Journey to the Center of the Earth.” They’ve rendered Jules Verne’s novel into a jokey lark, … Continue reading
“John Carter” is a bloated sci-fi epic made watchable by swell effects, passable performances and those little dashes of humor that reassure us that the filmmakers know this is all a lark — no matter what the budget.
“Joyful Noise,” sort of a “Glee!” meets gospel music choral competition comedy, makes a pleasant enough racket. A cheerful, not-quite-off-color crowd-pleasing film that rarely breaks from its formula, it’s the big screen equivalent of a sloppy smooch from your over-affectionate … Continue reading
You know what’s funny? Seth “Family Guy” MacFarlane making fun of Adam Sandler movies. “Unwatchable.” That’s freaking hilarious, that is. I mean, dude’s made a movie where he plays a foul-mouthed talking Teddy Bear, where he does funny voices, riffs … Continue reading
Nostalgia seems to kick in earlier and younger, at least to those of us of the “St. Elmo’s Fire” or “Big Chill” generations. Thus, the legion of 28 year-olds getting misty-eyed over high school in “10 Years,” a high school … Continue reading
Vanilla Ice is back, back baby. And for that crime alone, Adam Sandler should get the chair. Alas, it’s a minor offense in “That’s My Boy,” a no-holds-barred raunch-fest that combines bits of “Saturday Night Live” skits and “The Hangover” … Continue reading
There’s something about the frozen Northern Plains, filled with folksy, trusting and righteous Dakotans, Minnesotans and Wisconsinites, that screams “insurance fraud” to screenwriters. The notion that there’s nowhere in America quite so honest adds appeal to giving that phrase, “You … Continue reading
A humorous self-help relationship book becomes an amusing and often biting take on the war between the sexes with “Think Like a Man,” based on comic polymath Steve Harvey’s “Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man.” Funny people in … Continue reading
OK, who knew Tom Hardy, the new Batman villain and “Warrior” warrior, could be funny? Reese Witherspoon? Sure. Chris Pine? No surprise there. But Hardy?