Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? Is anybody home at "House of the Witch?"
- Movie Review: "Borat Subsequent Moviefilm," just as outrageous, not as funny
- The voice-over on Joe Biden's new ad is unmistakable -- Recognize it?
- Movie Review: A grieving obsessive-compulsive falls under an Icelandic "Spell"
- The voice on that World Series TV ad for Joe Biden?
- Book Review: The "Real" Judy Greer speaks up in "I Don't Know What You Know Me From"
- Documentary Review: "The Phenomenon" revisits UFOdom's Greatest Hits
- Movie Review: In Russia, just call these brutish bros "Three Comrades"
- Netflixable? "American Pie Presents: 'Girls' Rules"
- Movie Review: A fake priest, an Exorcism streaming show, a test from Satan -- "The Cleansing Hour"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: January 2, 2013
It was a simpler time, when Johnny Depp was new to Tiger Beat, when hair metal still ruled the airwaves and when Fox was an infant TV network with a bare handful of series — “The Simpsons,” “America’s Most Wanted” … Continue reading
Cast and crew err on the side of silly in “Journey 2: The Mysterious Island,” the amusingly childish sequel to that unlikely 2008 hit “Journey to the Center of the Earth.” They’ve rendered Jules Verne’s novel into a jokey lark, … Continue reading
“John Carter” is a bloated sci-fi epic made watchable by swell effects, passable performances and those little dashes of humor that reassure us that the filmmakers know this is all a lark — no matter what the budget.
“Joyful Noise,” sort of a “Glee!” meets gospel music choral competition comedy, makes a pleasant enough racket. A cheerful, not-quite-off-color crowd-pleasing film that rarely breaks from its formula, it’s the big screen equivalent of a sloppy smooch from your over-affectionate … Continue reading
You know what’s funny? Seth “Family Guy” MacFarlane making fun of Adam Sandler movies. “Unwatchable.” That’s freaking hilarious, that is. I mean, dude’s made a movie where he plays a foul-mouthed talking Teddy Bear, where he does funny voices, riffs … Continue reading
Nostalgia seems to kick in earlier and younger, at least to those of us of the “St. Elmo’s Fire” or “Big Chill” generations. Thus, the legion of 28 year-olds getting misty-eyed over high school in “10 Years,” a high school … Continue reading
Vanilla Ice is back, back baby. And for that crime alone, Adam Sandler should get the chair. Alas, it’s a minor offense in “That’s My Boy,” a no-holds-barred raunch-fest that combines bits of “Saturday Night Live” skits and “The Hangover” … Continue reading
There’s something about the frozen Northern Plains, filled with folksy, trusting and righteous Dakotans, Minnesotans and Wisconsinites, that screams “insurance fraud” to screenwriters. The notion that there’s nowhere in America quite so honest adds appeal to giving that phrase, “You … Continue reading
A humorous self-help relationship book becomes an amusing and often biting take on the war between the sexes with “Think Like a Man,” based on comic polymath Steve Harvey’s “Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man.” Funny people in … Continue reading
OK, who knew Tom Hardy, the new Batman villain and “Warrior” warrior, could be funny? Reese Witherspoon? Sure. Chris Pine? No surprise there. But Hardy?