Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: "80 for Brady," Comic Sudden Death
- Netflixable? A taut Norwegian WWII thriller recalls the battle for "Narvik: Hitler's First Defeat"
- Movie Review: A Sequel to China's Sci-Fi/Disaster Blockbuster: "The Wandering Earth II"
- Netflixable? A tragedy of WWII recreated, "The Bombardment (Skyggen i mit øje)"
- Movie Review: Miss this Appalachian thriller and there'll be "The Devil to Pay"
- Netflixable? A charming story of a French girl and her wolf -- "Vicky and Her Mystery (Mystère)"
- Movie Review: A Spaceship Encounters "Deus," and Unholy Heck Breaks Loose
- Movie Review: Low Camp in the High Andes, "Condor's Nest"
- Netflixable? Italian pranksters discover "The Price of Family" is no bargain
- Movie Review: Frank Grillo spills blood in Peckinpah-land -- "Little Dixie"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: September 24, 2022
Netflix has this John Boyega/Jamie Foxx and friends laugher. The trailer is damned funny, a good sign considering Mr Foxx’s prior Netflix paycheck.
“Railway Children” has more hugs in it than any British movie this side of “Love, Actually.” So much for chilly, oppressed English reserve — then or now. This treacly trifle is the latest version of an E. Nesbit novel from … Continue reading
Jake Gyllenhaal, Gabriel Union, Dennis Quaid, Lucy Liu — few big voice names, a Thanksgiving release. Looks ok, derivative but OK.
“Don’t Worry Darling” did preview numbers that matched those of “The Woman King” a week ago –about $3.1 million. But Olivia Wilde’s critically-panned, bad-buzzed sci fi “Stepford” thing had IMAX previews earlier in the week, and opened earlier on Thursday … Continue reading
Peter Farrelly’s luck had to run out. The director who made his name with farces, who got Oscar glory for turning sentimental, serious and only occasionally silly with “Green Book,” gives us his take on Vietnam with another dramedy inspired … Continue reading
It’s a Vietnam War movie, so of course there’s a soundtrack packed with 1960s pop and rock — “Cherish” (badly used) to “Let It All Hang Out,” it’s not “Good Morning, Vietnam,” but “The Greatest Beer Run Ever” does blow … Continue reading
There’s a sweet twist to this sad news, that James Earl Jones has retired. Vanity Fair makes it official, the great man with the singular voice is hanging it up at 91. But Lucasfilm is passing a last big check … Continue reading
I remember reviewing this one, but I had to look it up before passing it on to a public library that I either pass, visit or stop to do some writing in. came out early last summer. And while I … Continue reading
The beloved children’s film earns a reboot, with original star Jenny Agutter back some half a century later. Let’s hope this sentimental WWII era drama still plays.
A couple of things stick in the memory about “Oklahoma Crude,” a downbeat Western “action comedy” (lots of shooting and blowing stuff up) from the cinema’s filmmaker of conscience, director and producer Stanley Kramer. The “boomer” theme music by Henry … Continue reading