Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: "80 for Brady," Comic Sudden Death
- Netflixable? A taut Norwegian WWII thriller recalls the battle for "Narvik: Hitler's First Defeat"
- Movie Review: A Sequel to China's Sci-Fi/Disaster Blockbuster: "The Wandering Earth II"
- Netflixable? A tragedy of WWII recreated, "The Bombardment (Skyggen i mit øje)"
- Movie Review: Miss this Appalachian thriller and there'll be "The Devil to Pay"
- Netflixable? A charming story of a French girl and her wolf -- "Vicky and Her Mystery (Mystère)"
- Movie Review: Low Camp in the High Andes, "Condor's Nest"
- Netflixable? Italian pranksters discover "The Price of Family" is no bargain
- Movie Review: A Spaceship Encounters "Deus," and Unholy Heck Breaks Loose
- Movie Review: Frank Grillo spills blood in Peckinpah-land -- "Little Dixie"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: January 11, 2023
“World weariness” is a given in any film noir about a mystery somebody’s trying to solve. It’s in the sleepy eyes of the mystery-solver, be he or she a gumshoe, a relative or just “a friend” of the missing person. … Continue reading
Movie Preview: More J-Horror, this time in an Anglo-Dutch thriller about Jewish mysticism and demons and what not — “Attachment”
Yes, there’s officially now a subgenre of horror tales built on Jewish traditions, religious practices and demonology. Throw in a little same sex romance, and…”That’s CO-pen-HA-gen!” This Danish production in (mostly) English comes to Shudder Feb. 9.
The “yank’em out of the frame” horror movie effect has been beaten to death in the twenty or so years since it became commonplace. So it’s always refreshing when someone comes along and turns demonic creatures — young women, usually … Continue reading
The real test of a screen actor’s mettle isn’t a coveted turn in an awards-bait role, or even an ambitious chance to “stretch” and do something you’ve never done as a performer. It’s showing up for something that, whatever your … Continue reading
That Gerard Butler has more movie career lives than a damned cat. Every time you figure “It’s time to pack your bags for the C-movie express,” Gerry B. shows up in a dumb thriller that somehow “plays.” He buys in, … Continue reading
I had to catch a preview of “Plane” last night, which is a handy excuse for not watching something I gave up on years ago. The best way to experience the Golden Globes is like the best way to watch … Continue reading