Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: "80 for Brady," Comic Sudden Death
- Netflixable? A taut Norwegian WWII thriller recalls the battle for "Narvik: Hitler's First Defeat"
- Movie Review: A Sequel to China's Sci-Fi/Disaster Blockbuster: "The Wandering Earth II"
- Netflixable? A tragedy of WWII recreated, "The Bombardment (Skyggen i mit øje)"
- Movie Review: Miss this Appalachian thriller and there'll be "The Devil to Pay"
- Netflixable? A charming story of a French girl and her wolf -- "Vicky and Her Mystery (Mystère)"
- Netflixable? Italian pranksters discover "The Price of Family" is no bargain
- Movie Review: A Spaceship Encounters "Deus," and Unholy Heck Breaks Loose
- Movie Review: Low Camp in the High Andes, "Condor's Nest"
- Movie Review: Frank Grillo spills blood in Peckinpah-land -- "Little Dixie"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: January 13, 2023
If chemistry were all, then the sparks Amy Adams and Matthew Goode set off might be enough in ‘Leap Year,’ a romantic comedy in which those sparks never quite ignite. Wrapped too tight American meets louche, world-weary Irishman? Add Guinness … Continue reading
First of all, “Virtually Heroes” wasn’t really lost. It was sort of abandoned back in 2013. Finished, but not even released that I’m aware of. It’s a “Roger Corman” film in that he produced it, and his name got Mark … Continue reading
Movie Preview: Rachel McAdams and Kathy Bates get “Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret” on the screen
April 28, one of the hit books of the ’70s becomes a major and probably very cute motion picture. They got the music right.
Movie Preview: Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Connor Paolo and Aaron Eckhart get their Vietnam Thriller — “Ambush”
The fight as it played out underground it the setting of this Feb. 24 thriller. Genre film, but the trailer suggests it could be good.
You don’t have to look hard to see the criticisms of “The Way Things Work in China” tucked into the somber, slow-burn thriller “Back to the Wharf.” It’s in the sealed fate of the protagonists, the way “some pigs are … Continue reading
“Dog Gone” is a maudlin, sappy (inspired by a) “true story” about a boy and his missing dog. It’s a Netflix tearjerker of the “Marley & Me/A Dog’s Purpose” school, packed with cliches and served up with a heaping helping … Continue reading
A Feb 10 theatrical release, Apple TV the next week heist and dysfunctional family thriller which also stars Brianna Middleton and Justice Smith. It’s from A24, which suggests “thought provoking” and a certain quality, but limited box office appeal which … Continue reading
“Saint Omer” is a dry, patience-testing parable about cultures clashing, cultural disconnection, motherhood and the eating fear of infanticide many mothers harbor — “The Medea Complex.” That, by the way, would have been a much more informative, dramatic and poetic … Continue reading