Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? The Hunt for a missing sister begins with "Sara's Notebook"
- Movie Review: The answers to a murder mystery lie "Beneath the Leaves"
- Movie Review: "M.O.M. Mothers of Monsters"
- Netflixable? "The Wrong Missy" tries to revive David Spade
- Netflixable? Survivalism's last stand hinges on "The Reliant"
- Netflixable? Don't fall into the "Timetrap"
- Movie Review: Let's head down the rabbit hole of "The Mandela Effect"
- Documentary Review: Netflix's "One of Us" exposes the horrors of escaping Hasidism
- Movie Review: Jean Reno, ever "The Professional," doing wet work in "Cold Blood"
- Netflixable? "Pretty Little Stalker"
Find a Movie Review
Search Results for: Hava Nagila
You’d expect a movie about a song that has become the Hebrew “Hokey Pokey” to be playful. And “Hava Nagila (The Movie)” is that, in spades. That wedding, party and bar mitzvah staple, a song that the whole world knows … Continue reading
It’s the documentary about the song everybody knows, the Jewish “Hokey Pokey,” a staple of weddings, bars this and bats that. But who knows where it’s from and how it got to be that cross-cultural staple? “Hava Nagila (The Movie)” … Continue reading
I learned it in elementary school music class. Along with kibbutz working songs. I think the teacher in the small town where I grew up was a closet Zionist. Everybody knows it. Or knows a little of it. Even anti-Semites. … Continue reading
The brilliantly, hilariously offbeat “History of Future Folk” is a sci-fi comic thriller folk music musical. Even its genre is a hoot. There’s this goofy janitor (Nils d’Aulaire) and dad who tells his daughter funny bedtime stories about a distant … Continue reading
A couple of observations about the year so far in movies. There have been a few not-half-bad ones, but movies that have caught on with audiences and stuck around, that have buzz and staying power? “Identity Thief” is pretty much … Continue reading